Bookmark & Share  

Frequently Asked Questions


See also: Frequently Requested Phone Numbers

 What are the City Hall hours of Operation?  City Hall, located at 335 S. Warren, is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
What can I deposit in the Afterhours drop box? The afterhours drop box is located on the “exit” side of the island at the main driveway of City Hall, 335 S. Warren.

Water bill payments, tax payments, absentee voter ballots and correspondence for city employees may be deposited in the box.

Please note the following:

· Any payment received via the drop box after 4:00 p.m. will be posted on the next regular business day.

· Any tax payment that does not include the necessary penalty and interest will be returned via 1st class mail.

· Tax payments with due dates that fall on a Saturday or Sunday are required to be in the office before 5:00 p.m. the PRECEDING BUSINESS DAY and will be subject to penalty and interest if deposited in the drop box AFTER 4:00 p.m.


 Where do I pay a parking ticket? If paying a ticket in person, it must be paid at the Clerk/Treasurer's Office located at 335 S. Warren Street. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We accept payment in the form of cash, checks or money order. We are not able to accept credit or debit cards.
 How do I report a broken street light? The City of South Lyon has been working with Detroit Edison's Community Lighting group to expedite the repair and maintenance of the streetlights in the community. In the event of a streetlight outage, please call the DPW at (248) 437-6914, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with the following information:
  • A specific streetlight location (i.e., the nearest cross roads, nearby business, etc.)
  • Whether the pole is wooden or metal
  • The streetlight pole number (Metal poles: number located base. Wood poles: number located approximately 8' up pole.)
  • Details about the outage (i.e. Light off during the night, light turns on and off at night, light stays on during the day, etc.)

In cases where a pole has been knocked down or any other emergency, please call Detroit Edison at 1 (800) 477-4747.

The DPW is responsible for maintaining the decorative streetlights in the downtown business area, Paul Baker Memorial Park and the lights around the Witch's Hat Museum only.
 How do I request a final water bill? As soon as you know the date of your move, call Phyllis Popravsky at (248) 437-2326 to schedule a final water meter reading.
 When are property taxes due? Summer taxes are mailed July 1st and are payable without penalty by 5:00 p.m.on the last business day of September. If the 30th falls on a weekend, then the tax is due by 5:00 p.m. on the Friday before the due date. Beginning October 1st, a 3% penalty is added and 1/2 of 1% per month until paid. Winter taxes are mailed December 1st and are due the following February 14th. All Winter taxes not received by 5:00 p.m.on the 14th will incur a 3% penalty. Postmarks will not be honored.
Beginning March 1st, all unpaid taxes must be paid to the Oakland County Treasurer, with additional penalties. If you are expecting a bill and do not receive one, please contact the Treasurer’s Office immediately at (248) 437-1735. Failure to receive a bill does not exempt you from payment. Please note that only one tax bill is mailed; if your mortgage company is responsible for payment, the bill is sent directly to them.
 I have a South Lyon mailing address, do I live in the City Of South Lyon? Not necessarily. The City of South Lyon is approximately 3.5 square miles. The City boundaries are roughly Dixboro Road to the west, Martindale Road to the east, and approximately just north of Eleven Mile to the north and Nine Mile to the south. The South Lyon Post Office also services the four surrounding Townships - Lyon, Green Oak, Salem, and Northfield. If you have a South Lyon mailing address and are not within the City limits, your address will fall within the jurisdiction of one of these Townships - Green Oak, Lyon, Salem or Northfield. 
 Where do I register to vote? You can register to vote at the City Clerk's office at City Hall or at any Secretary of State's office. To register to vote, you must be a U. S. citizen, at least 18 years old by election day and a resident of South Lyon. You must register at least 30 days before the election in which you intend to vote. For more information on voting please visit Publius.org.
 What forms of payment does the City accept?  We accept payment in the form of cash, checks or money order. We are not able to accept credit or debit cards.
 When is the City-wide garage sale? Each year the City sponsors a City-wide garage sale. All residents may participate in this sale without a garage sale permit. This year, 2016, the City-wide Garage Sale runs from Thursday, May 19th through Sunday, May 22nd. Leftover and unwanted items (large & small) can be put out at the curb on your regularly scheduled trash pick up day.
 How do I get a new recyling bin?  Residents with curbside garbage pickup will be provided with one (1) recycling bin. One per bin per address. If you move, please leave the bin for the next homeowner, as it is the property of The City of South Lyon. If you need a recycling bin, one can be obtained from our DPW garage located at 520 Ada Street between the hours of 7:30 and 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 and 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Bins are also now available at City Hall, 
335 S. Warren from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. We do not have the resources to drop off recycling bins at residences, you will need to come to either the DPW yard or City Hall to pick one up.
All garbage, including recycling and compost materials, should be at the curb on garbage day before 7:00 a.m. You can find more information about recycling here.
 © 2009 - 2017   City of South Lyon by AccuNet Web Services