Bookmark & Share  
The Assessing Department maintains the records on all real property (land and buildings). If you have any questions regarding your assessment, the City Assessor will be glad to help. South Lyon's City Assessor is Oakland County. You can reach the Assessing Department at (248) 437-1735 or visit the website for Oakland County Public Records.
Frequently Asked Assessing Questions:

 Do I qualify for a Principal Residence Exemption?

Homeowners who own and occupy a homestead as their principal residence may be exempt from a portion of the school operating tax. In order to claim this exemption, the homeowner must file a Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit with the City Clerk's office at 335 S. Warren, South Lyon, Michigan 48178 by June 1st. Adjustments will be made by the assessor on the next property tax bill. Homeowners may claim only one homestead in Michigan. Download Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit (PDF) from the State of Michigan.

 Can I make a Request to Rescind?

A homeowner who has claimed a Principal Residence Exemption an a property and sells that property or converts the home to another use (i.e. a rental property) must rescind the exemption they maintained when the property was owned and occupied as a primary residence in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan. If it is determined that a property was claimed as a Principal Residence when in fact it was not, the owner may be subject to additional property taxes, penalty and interest. Download Request to Rescind Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption (PDF) from the State of Michigan.

 When do I need to file a Property Transfer Affidavit?

This form must be filed whenever real estate or some types of personal property are transferred, even if you do not record a deed. It must be filed by the new owner with the City or the County within 45 days of the transfer. If it is not filed within 45 days, a penalty may apply. Download Property Transfer Affidavit (PDF) from the State of Michigan.
You can visit Oakland County's website to pay current or delinquent taxes.
Please note that online payments may require the purchase of a Tax Statement or a Current Tax Profile. A small fee to purchase a Tax Statement or a Current Tax Profile is charged by Oakland County to recover costs associated with developing the technology required in providing this online payment service.

 How can I challenge the assessment of taxable value on my property?

Every year a change of assessment notice is mailed to all homeowners informing them of any changes in the assessed and taxable values of their property. Should you notice an error or feel the assessment or taxable value is incorrect, contact Oakland County promptly at the number on the notice. These errors can be corrected before the assessment roll is completed for the year.
The March Board of Review meetings are held at City Hall. Appointments are required to make an appeal. The March Board of Review hears appeals for the current year only. Appeals relating to property value or hardship are held at this meeting. Should you not agree with the Board of Review action, you may appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. The July and December Board of Review are held for mutual mistakes of fact or clerical error, hardship, and homestead status only.

Due to the passage of Proposal A, your taxable value can only increase 5% or the CPI (consumer price index), whichever is lower. The taxable value can also increase when new construction is added. This includes decks, garages, additions, etc.Assessments will change according to the effect of the market conditions. Should you need information regarding assessments, field sheets or tax matters please call the City at (248) 437-1735.

For more information, visit the Oakland County Equalization Division website.
 © 2009 - 2017   City of South Lyon by AccuNet Web Services